Friday, February 1, 2008

Clydesdales...

I cannot talk about super bowl advertisements without talking about the Budweiser Clydesdales. The famous Budweiser Clydesdales became linked with the Anheuser-Busch name after Prohibition, when they were used to pull a wagon full of the first beer AB brewed at the St. Louis Brewery.

A fully grown Budweiser Clydesdale is about 6 feet tall and ways over 2,000 pounds. The ideal horse is bay in color(a rich chestnut body with a black mane and tail), has a blaze of white on its face. Most important, the Clydesdale will have classic white feathering on all four legs and feet.

Every year, I look forward to seeing the Clydesdale ad. My parents have horses and I've always enjoyed seeing these gentle giants at the Missouri State fair. This Clydesdale ad was my favorite for 2006, but my favorite Clydesdale ad was the one that aired in 2002 and was done in tribute to 9/11. I quote the You Tube description:
Here is the famous commercial Budweiser produced after 9/11. They aired it only once -- during Super Bowl XXXVI in January 2002. This one-minute spot features the beer company's trademarked team of Clydesdale horses trudging across snow-covered ground into New York City where they stop to gaze upon the Statue of Liberty and the city's skyline before lowering their heads on bended knees in a gesture of respect.


No comments: